Electric Thermal Storage Program
Electric thermal storage is a type of electric space heating system that uses lower-cost off-peak electricity to heat ceramic bricks in an insulated cabinet. The units release their heat continuously. Tri-County does not sell or install ETS units, however, a list of` local vendors is provided in the 'Learn More' section.
Tri-County offers a rebate of $50.00 for every kilowatt (KW) of installed ETS to homeowners. To qualify for the ETS rebate the following conditions must be met:
- A member must install a minimum of 5 KW of ETS
- New homes must meet Act 22 standards
- Older homes must meet the following insulation levels: R-13 walls, R-13 floors, R-19 ceilings, storm doors & windows
- A Manual J heat loss calculation must be done prior to the ETS installation
Prior to the purchase of ETS units and when a member is ready to install, the cooperative must:
- Provide rate information
- Supply a list of ETS vendors
- Furnish ETS brochures
- Supply entrance specifications
- Inspect service & installation to assure that requirements are met
- Provide information about on-peak and off-peak hours
- Select the vendor, brand and amount of ETS
- Have a minimum of 5 KW of ETS installed
- For the dual-meter system, have a second entrance installed and inspected.
- A single-meter system may require inspection, pending new construction or changes to existing entrance
- Connect other electrical appliances to the ETS service, if desired
Single-Meter ETS Rate
Please call office for current rates.
For most members, the single-meter system is the most economical. It automatically places the entire home on a time-of-day rate.