Co-ops and Rural Electrification
What is a cooperative?
A cooperative is a member-owned business. Membership is open to those who use the cooperative's services. Democratically controlled and operated on a non-profit basis, a cooperative returns any margins or profits to members on the basis of patronage.
The following businesses are cooperatives:
- Ocean Spray
- Ace Hardware
- Nationwide Insurance
- Tri-County REC
All cooperatives share the following seven business principles:
- Open and voluntary membership
- Democratic member control
- Non-profit operations
- Autonomy and independence
- Continuing education
- Cooperation among other cooperative businesses
- Concern for local communities
Learn more about the Seven Cooperative Principles and what they mean for you.